Click on the button below for detailed Trip Notes containing all the particulars about this trip, including kit lists and practical information.View Trip Notes
The Tamur is one of the most remote rivers in Nepal and one of the best commercial rafting trips in the world. A three day trek to the starting point takes you through beautiful countryside and remote villages down to the river. Also known as “The Jewel in the East” it flows from the run off of the mighty Kanchenjunga before becoming part of the Sapta Kosi at Tribeni. Your trip down the river will be 130km long with some 120 rapids to keep you busy and some amazing scenery when you get the chance to kick back and relax.
- Experience the “ Best all-round” river in Nepal
- Super fun, big and bouncy white water rapids with exciting wave trains
- Experience beautiful remote beach camping
- Varieties of scenery including jungle, waterfalls and villages
Things to Know
- Confirmation will be received at time of Booking
- Adult pricing applies to all travellers
- Minimum age is typically 12 but depends on current river conditions and participant experience, water confidence and strength. Please inquire for special consideration of children
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Participants must be water confident and able to swim
Leaving Kathmandu early in the morning for a 16 hour bus journey to Dharan where we spend the first night; an ideal time to relax in preparation for the trekking/rafting combination to come.
From Dharan we take a shorter truck journey to Basantapur, a hill top market town, arriving mid- afternoon. Here we will camp, pick up anything we didn’t bring from Kathmandu and organise porters for our trek into the river wilderness.
In the morning we will meet the porters who will carry our gear along the trail through villages and farms along a picturesque ridge. With the path winding gently up and down through woodlands and meadows up to a 10000 foot pass above the sacred lake Gupha Pokhari. From the ridge you can get views of the magnificent mountains Kanchenjunga, Everest and Makalu. We will stop overnight in camps where our team of porters and staff will provide hearty meals and the local villagers will stand and stare in wonder at what on earth we are carrying with us. On the afternoon of day 5 we will arrive at Dobhan, our rafting starting point. Here we will camp and prepare for the river trip.
After breakfast we will set up the rafts and your rafting trip leader will give you all rafting safety equipment and a paddle and safety talk. It is important that you listen carefully as approximately the first 20km is one big rapid, no time for a warm up here. This continues for the next 5 days with a little mellow water in the middle. Each day we will paddle for roughly 5 hours, giving us plenty of chances to relax on sandy beaches and gear ourselves up for the next wild rapid. Unlike most rivers the Tamur gets a little steep towards the bottom and on day 11 we will be flushed down this challenging but fun section of rapids, cascading waves and chutes of foam.
Today we enter the Terai and the river becomes the Sapta Kosi, made up of 7 rivers including the Tamur, Sun Kosi and Arun. A gentle paddle and some smaller rapids take us to Chatra, our take out point. From here it is onto the bus for the long journey back to Kathmandu, hot showers and a cold drink with friends where we can entertain with our tales from the river.
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed rafting Guides with high safe standards
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, food and accommodation
- Meals and Accommodation
- Rafting and Camping Equipments
- All government and local taxes
- International Flight Tickets
- Nepalese Visa fee
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu for early arrival and late departures or early return from trek than the scheduled itinerary
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Beverages and personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower, etc.)