EVEREST BASE CAMP IN DECEMBER
December is the beginning of winter in Nepal. The temperature starts dropping and even reaches below freezing on mountains. And, Everest being a mountainous region gets even colder. Despite the cold, Trekking in the Everest region in December is a rewarding escape from the everyday hustles. Everest Base camp trekking trail in December is serene and peaceful. Most parts of the region wear the blankets of snow during December. Such heavenly view leaves plenty of trekkers asking for more. Many people presuppose that Everest Base Camp during December gets very cold and is undoable. However, even though the first is true that it does get very cold but the second perception is absolutely false. With the right preparation, trekking to the Everest Base Camp in December may be the best way to see nature at its finest. Despite the cold, you do not have to worry about the rain, leeches, and slippery trails while trekking during this time of the year. It is a dry month with clear weather and sharp visibility.
Seasons of Everest
Mount Everest lies 28° north of the equator and is subject to a typical northern hemisphere seasonal pattern. It lies at the edge of the influence of the Indian Monsoon which brings moisture and clouds from June to September. The cold months are December/January and the best trekking is between these two seasons .during March to May and October to November, when the climate is moderate.
- Winter Weather at Everest:
Winter weather (Nov to Feb) is dominated by the southward migration of the northern hemisphere jet stream which brings high winds, cold temperatures and on occasion heavy snow falls. Winter can be a great time for trekking as the crowds trying to avoid the cold clear out. Day temperatures are comfortable and sunny skies generally prevail although it can get well below freezing at night.
- Spring (pre Monsoon) Weather at Everest:
March until the unset of the Monsoon is one of the ideal times to trek. Rain is infrequent and day temperatures are warm. Lots of trekkers and climbers are out in t-shirts.
- Monsoon Season Everest:
The summer weather (June to Sept) is influenced by the Indian Monsoon which brings frequent rainfall and cloudy days. You might find solitude during this time but clouds and rain generally obscure the peaks and it’s not a good time to visit.
- Fall Weather (post Monsoon) at Everest:
The Fall season from the end of the Monsoon until temperatures get cold in December is a great time for trekking with generally clear days and comfortable temperatures.
Advantage of Trekking Everest on December
- Low Rainfall-Everest region has almost no rainfall during December, although you may see some snow. The weather is pretty predictable in the Everest region during December. So, you need not worry about abrupt changes in the weather during your trek.
- Amazing view-Winters usually have the clearest views in Everest Base Camp; the sky is crystal clear with pin sharp view of the surrounding. /p>
- Less crowd-You will thank yourself for making this wise decision once you are on the trail. Since it is the off-season for trekking in the Everest region, you will not find few people trekking there. You will have enough space and time to enjoy the spectacular view and take some amazing pictures too!
- Easy flights-You will easily get flight tickets from Kathmandu to Lukla or vice versa this time of the month. You need not struggle to book the flights at all. Except, when the weather is cloudy and unfavourable for flights.
Everest Base Camp Weather in December
The weather undoubtedly is cold in December in the Everest region. But the fact that tea houses and hotels along the way are open means that the region is devoid of human presence. Besides, there are many people who enjoy the December trek, especially people who are residents of places which are perennially snowy.
EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK TEMPERATURE IN DECEMBER
|Place||Elevation||Avg Temp||Min Temp||Max Temp|
|Dingboche||4,483m/14,708 ft||-5.1 °C||-13.4°C||3.2°C|
The average precipitation in the month of December if 3mm. This means that the chances of cloud covering the mountains are pretty low. It shouldn’t come as a mystery that some of the most captivating pictures of the Everest region are taken in December.
Difficulties of Everest Base Camp Trek in December
Everest Base Camp trek in December is doable, but there are some difficulties you might during the trek.
- Cold Weather might affect some people.
- Some people might suffer from altitude sickness.
- Snowfall might block the trail.
- Days in December are short. So, you need to hike early.
- Without proper fitness and training, it is difficult to complete the trek.
- Sometimes, you might be short of required trekking gears. So, you need to check carefully the items before the trek.
List of Things to Pack during Trekking in December
You need to be very careful during packing things. As December is cold, so you need to choose your clothes accordingly. Here is a list of things you need to pack:
- Sleeping Bag
- Hiking Trousers
- Jackets (Down and Fleece)
- Trekking Boots
- Caps and Beanie
- Antiseptic Cream
- Chlorine Dioxide Tablets/ Water purification tablets
- Insect Repellent
- Antiseptic Wipes
(Note: Travel Adventure Nepal’s trekking team has all pre organised first aid options available. But it’s not bad idea of you have back up one for you)
- Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
- Nail Clippers
- Guide Book
- Thermal Flask